Done With High School- Here Are Your Options


As the parent of a teenager with learning and attention issues, you may be wondering what options your child has once he or she finishes high school. The school may have been difficult for him, but many paths can lead to an independent and happy life. These are the most common new courses after graduation.

University or 4-year colleges

The university or the 4-year study programs offered by the schools will prepare your child for a wide variety of professional careers. However, they can be a challenge for any student because they require a lot of dedication and there is little supervision. Also, there your child will not have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to help him/her.

Two-year colleges

A college with two-year study programs can be a great option if your child is not sure what they want to study, or is not ready for a four-year career. Your child will develop their skills and receive professional training that requires a two-year degree. These programs offer the option for the student to switch to a four-year program at a university or college.

Two-year colleges offer diploma in banking and training for vocational courses and programs. They can teach you how to manage their time, study techniques and get used to the life of the university while still living in the parents’ house.

Trades and certificates programs

The vocational programs or offices offer a direct path to specific jobs. Students who have had difficulty in school may prefer this type of hands-on learning. There are programs in a wide variety of areas, including things like web design, electronics, and medical assistance. Many schools also offer certified programs.

Programs usually have more supervision to help students stay up to date. Many offer internships or apprentice positions to help students find a job.

Sabbatical year (gap year)

Some teens do not feel prepared for college life when they finish high school. One option for them is a “gap year,” which is becoming very common in the United States. Many colleges now allow students to delay their enrollment by one year. Many students use their sabbatical year to explore other interests through internships, volunteer work, a job or trips.


If continuing to study is not the best thing for your teenager, finding a job can be a satisfying option. However, in a competitive job market, it might be difficult to get a job, especially if you have no experience. You may consider volunteering for a while as you develop your skills. School counselors and community centers can help you find internships and volunteer jobs that interest you.

Family members and friends may also know about jobs that might be appropriate for your child. As he learns the skills necessary to work, he will become more independent and may discover a professional path that will lead him to become more qualified.

Key points

  • Your child’s academic counselor or the IEP team can advise you on the most appropriate path.
  • It is essential that your child finds and explores their interests.
  • Work experience and internships are an excellent start to choose the proper path.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *